Friday, June 15, 2007

Amsterdam - Sex and The City I

Amsterdam, top of my most wanted to visit list all these while. Not for the SEX ... but for the windmill and scenery. Yeah, yeah.. most is for the windmill, trust me. I love that with no reason. Can’t really explain. So, buddy is too lovely to bring me there though he just been there. Too many fresh memories. But still, he brought me there. We got there by bus euroline. Departed from Frankfurt Hbf. Did some shopping (the outcome is more than expected :P!) and have a nice dinner and beer in a cafĂ© before we catch the midnight bus.

Day 1
We reached about 7:30am and get to check into the hotel about 8:00am. I didn’t sleep for the whole night. So, I got some rest till 12pm. Yeah, going all the way there to sleep, :). I was tired mentally and physically. I really need some rest at that point.
Hehe… piggie woke up and out for food with buddy. At first I really thought that I was in Hong Kong! Most streets’ name are with chinese characters, chinese shops around me and those “guai lou” looking guy can speak Cantonese very well. Chinese songs were played! Wow… salah tempat tak?! Then, after buddy explained that I finally understand. Those Hongkies migrate to Amsterdam long time ago O.o . We go for dim sum buffet for my break-lunch. Hmm… not bad but not that good either.

Walking in the town is like taking a walk in the 17th century, as the center of Amsterdam has a lot of charming architecture dating from this period. Passing by some bargain market in Nieuw Markt. Just took some pics. We are not quite interested for that as we doubt for the quality offered. Haha… very “high class” people here.

Passed by DAM which has many attractions and is a very busy square. We preferred to use it as a hub to all the places we wished to visit. Almost all main streets lead to it so most things are easy to find from it. It is a meeting place for tourists and locals likewise who sit on the steps of the National Monument. The name Amsterdam derives from this place where people built an embankment which separated the IJ and the Amstel. We do not miss the Koninklijk Paleis – Royal Palace which is located in the heart of Amsterdam on the DAM Square. The palace was formerly used as city hall and was only called a palace when Napoleon put his brother Louis as king of the Netherlands. From that moment on different kings used the building as a residence.

While walking to the Bloemenmarkt, we passed by Madame Tussaud Wax Museum, Erotic Museum and Sex Museum, But we didn’t get into any of that. Straight to our “target” place Bloemenmark where is the world's only floating flower market with flower stalls on houseboats situated on the Singel. Have pics here with my favorite flower – tulips. How I hope I can bring back one…. the real one, not as the fake one in my room. Had a cocktail session during happy hour before heading back for dinner. Chinese cuisine, fried noodle with char siew at KAM YIN Restaurant.

After dinner, we visited the Red Light District. Visiting Amsterdam also means visiting the famous Red Light District which is located between the New Market, the Central Station and the Dam Square. The area is not only at night an attraction. Also during the day there is a special atmosphere created by the many red curtains and lights in the windows. Women of every age and every nationality can be viewed in the many windows along the streets. I passed by during the day, but I wonder what are those women doing there, thought are statue or what. Being scolded badly, I can’t see the women are real as I really dare not to look at them. Prostitution is legal in Holland, and in Amsterdam most of it is concentrated in the Red Light District. The Red Light District isn't very big. We passed lots of red-fringed window parlors populated by women, who favor a minimalist dress style, and who tap (or pound) on the windows as likely looking customers go by. Is a liberal city.. in other way, is too polluted!
A tiring day… back to hotel and zzz… :P

No comments: